Sunday 19 April 2015

Burning by the Stars | Alexander T. Damle

The first rays of sun pry their way in between the blinds and through the crust on my eyes. I roll over on my side and stare at my phone, ticking down minutes, seconds - back to sleep or not, same question every morning. And then the screen lights up bright, and I know what’s coming.
The screeching beep cutting deep through skin and flesh and into the tendon, just like every morning. I raise myself out of bed slowly. I look at the picture on my nightstand of her holding my boy’s hand, and I smile a little when I look at it. It was taken back when he was just a few years old. We went to the zoo. That was a happy day, all of us just... together... watching his wonderment at the animals. He liked the hippos the best and when I asked him why, he just smiled at me.
I pull myself out of bed, take a shower. When I open my closet and let my eyes wander across all the near-identical shirts, I remember my closet in high school, concert t-shirts for shitty rock bands long forgotten, all their contributions to the world, all the love and passion that they lived into their art, lost but for my fleeting dreams of a time gone by.
After breakfast, I take my lunch, made the night before, out of the fridge, toss it in my laptop bag, grab my thermos full of coffee, almost forget the car keys.
The bag gets set in the passenger seat in a moment so repeated as to be instantly forgotten. Key in the ignition. I imagine a muscle car roar as I pull my little Toyota Camry out  of the garage into the street. It’s barely 6:30 in the morning and the sun is casting the shadows of the mountains miles out across the plains, the suburbs to the city, a million people all getting ready for work and school, pulling shitty cars bought on safety ratings out towards the interstate, just in time to hit the commuter traffic.
I get to the office, sit down at my computer, hit the power button. Same thing a million times before and after, early morning power-ons until I hit retirement and they let me die quiet. This sort of thinking is poison for the mind, considering the endless, day in, day out repetition marking the long, slow walk unto the void. It’s pointless to question, so I just focus on the screen in front of me.
            I try to stay focused, actually get something done, but as the early afternoon sets in, I feel the world around me start to slip. It’s the American Dream, over and over and over and over. Day after day. Shower, dress, breakfast, commute, work, lunch, work, commute, TV, dinner, bed, shower, dress, breakfast, commute, work, lunch, work, commute, TV, dinner, bed, shower dress, breakfast, commute, work, lunch, work, commute, TV, dinner, bed, counting the seconds until the weekend, right up until Monday morning when you start your count again.. Childhood wonder, teenage angst, young adult passion, then work, so much work, and then, when your body and mind finally start to rot out from the endless, hopeless repetition, then they tell you quietly to leave and never come back. And you think, finally, that’s going to be the good part, the retirement, the finally having the time to do whatever you want, no work or school left to worry about. But after so many years of conditioning to only want to make more, it’s impossible to be happy just stopping. And, after all, how long till your mind and body are such that you can’t enjoy so much as your breakfast? And when you reach that stage, all you have left is to lay out under that South Florida sun, waiting for death to finally take you.
           
            I walk in the front door and let out a sigh.
            “Peter! I’m home.” He doesn’t respond. I figure he’s in his room. He usually is. He works a few hours a day, and he always get’s home before me, then goes straight to his room and locks the door, puts his headphones in. It didn’t used to be this way. Just a few years ago when I got home he’d always be here to give me a hug. Still, I know what he’s going through. Christ knows I was an ass myself when I was his age. I knock on his door, and he still doesn’t answer. Every time he does this, my heart skips a few beats. I know he’ll always be inside, but it’s always so easy to convince me that today he won’t be.
            I push his door open and my heart stops. He’s not here. Not his shoes, not his backpack. Nothing. I lean back against the door frame and take a few deep breaths. I can’t face this, not even the possibility. I take my phone out of my pocket and notice the text he sent me an hour ago letting me know he’d be home a little late.
            I wander slow back into the kitchen, try to calm myself down. I feel silly, but it’s a justifiable silliness. I just stand, head leaned up against the fridge, for a good ten minutes. It’s July in Denver, and that means 90s. The cool metal feels good against my skin, keeps me sane. I hear the door open. I want to run over there and hug him but I know he’s fifteen and, well...
            “Hey Peter, how was work?”
            “Oh, you know, it was whatever.”
            “Eloquent as ever.”
            “Yeah...”
            “Listen, later, after dinner, we’re going somewhere. We both have the day off tomorrow, so...” He goes back to his room to do whatever it is he does in there all day. If he’s anything like I was at that age, that means play video games and masturbate. I slump down on the couch, turn on the TV. I stare listlessly at whatever salesman’s pitch of the American Dream set to a laugh track is on today.
            We eat dinner later in silence, eyes glued to our respective phones.
            After we eat, I sit on the couch a while and watch television, subject already forgotten, in one ear and out the other, as they say. It’s just something to pass the time, no different than work or family or art or love. Finally, sun is down properly.
            “Peter, come on, we’re going!”
            “Just a minute dad.” I grab my car keys, and I wait. I desperately want for Peter to enjoy tonight. I want things to be like they were in the picture by my bed, but I know that’s not going to happen.
            I let him drive. Windows open, the same shitty classic rock station blasting over the radio. Even as I caution him to drive carefully, slowly, all the wisdom it’s my duty to pass on, I revel at the freedom in his eyes, the infinite opportunity offered up to him by the road as it once was to me. Back in highschool, as soon as I got my license, anytime I felt too trapped by my shitty hometown, I would drive off into the desert, wind in my hair, that freedom I saw just over the precipice of college beating in my heart and head. If I’d known then that I’d end up just an hour away from that town, making my kid live the life I did... I don’t know.
            Still, in this moment, in his youth, in the inexhaustible promise of college’s inevitable supposed-infinite liberation, in this moment he has true freedom, that great wonderment of life known simply as possibility.
            I direct him south, away from the city, nearer to where I grew up. Soon, we’re off main roads, speed limits pushing up past 50 around blind curves with no streetlights, simply because people around here don’t care if a stranger wraps their car around a tree.
            We turn onto a dirt road, head up the side of a hill, park.
            “Okay dad, where the hell are we.” I smile at him.
            “For years in high school, me and my friends would come up here the night before the Fourth...”
            “The third you mean?”
            “Don’t be a smartass. We’d come up here on the night of the third of July and set off fireworks. We always spent the fourth with family, but the third was ours. Our time to celebrate real freedom- driving wherever we wanted with no where to go.” I open the trunk and delicately lift out a box of fireworks.
            “Why here?”
            “We’re not quite there yet.” We start up a path that leads away from the parking lot, walk for maybe fifteen minutes.
            At the apex of the climb, I see my son catch his breath. We stand at the edge of a cliff, the desert below us, stretching away up to the lights of Denver, blurs of colour cutting out through the night, all the straight lines of the city’s grid streets. The American dream willed into existence by force of collective belief. Suburbs built on working hard for your kids so they can do the same, nine to five rat race office job soldiering away so you never have to do a day of real soldiering. Then the older, blue collar neighborhoods, the bleeding edge of the urban sprawl, people getting up early to run the basic infrastructure that keeps the city humming along, riding the parabola of the American zeitgeist. Then all the rich young hipsters, at that perfect age where you have the career that lands you money, without the impositions of time borne out of children and marriage, life all music and movies and sex and recreational drug use. Finally the immigrant neighborhoods, Mexican, mostly, the new age, the next story of the American dream made real after years of struggling and striving and fighting. Pretty soon the people of those communities will be part of the suburban collectivist non-life, but, for now, they represent all the passion and drive of this country, the dream that their kids can have lives better than theirs, if only they just work a little harder. I put my arm around my son’s shoulder.
            Together we set up the fireworks.     
            They ripple and crackle up through the sky, spitting out tails of hellfire as they hurtle up towards the stars, their twinkling guide points unencumbered by city lights. At the apex of the rockets’ arcs, they flash bang outwards in a shower of sparks, red, blue, yellow, green, white, burning out bright and brief, trickling and melting out towards the ground. Our faces are lit up in glowing color, their tones surprisingly natural in our age of harsh neon technicolour. Peter’s face surprises me with its youth, under these lights. It’s a childlike wonderment that men seem to reserve for explosions, and I’m glad to see it on him. I think briefly of peoples’ faces lit up by computer screens, but the thought exists simply and without concern, a mere atmospheric twang in amongst the rolling thunder of the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment